Sunday 10 December 2017

Awesome tutorial from Gemma!

Happy Sunday everyone and you are all in for a treat as we have a wonderful tutorial from gemma today. Before you whizz down to the tutorial, please remember that you have up to 31st December to enter this months challenge, (Challenge #3) - details HERE - and if you fancy being a GDT for Love 2 Create, add GDT after your name when entering your project.

Now over to Gemma ... 


I have a fun Christmas/winter canvas to share with you all today, I love making this kind of project, it is not too time-consuming and the process is fairly simple to recreate in lots of different sizes and on different bases.


 I printed out a few background sheets from the wonderful Polkadoodles Festive Christmas collection, Keeping in mind that I wanted papers for the sky and ground as well as different patterns on cardstock for the trees. 


Then I tore my sky papers into little squares and glued them to the canvas with a mat gel medium, I covered about two-thirds of the canvas, not worrying about the edges as I had already decided I was adding a painted frame. 
I tore the ground papers into stripes, giving then a curved shape and I glues them to the canvas in the same way.


Before cutting my printed card into triangles and some scrap card into rectangles for my trees, I went around all the edges of the papers that were glued down with my Pitt brush pens and blended the ink with my fingers. This helps to bring everything together and make it feel like one piece. 


After my trees were glued into place, I edged them with the same pens. At this point, I also stamped out and glued my chosen text onto the canvas and edged them as well.


I then took a lovely wintery themed stencil from my stash that reminds me of snow falling and applied texture paste through it onto the canvas. before the paste could dry I sprinkled glitter over the top.


Then I just needed to frame it and I did this by adding brown paint to texture paste, I applied it to the canvas with a palette knife, which gave me the effect of a very rustic bumpy imperfect frame.


I hope you enjoyed my tutorial, there is still plenty of time to join in this months challenge. We love seeing what everyone is making.

Gemma


6 comments:

  1. A wonderful canvas. It reminds me of a book I had as a child instead of illustrations the artist had used layers of papers and materials and taken photos, it made it a very tactile book even the pages were completely flat. Thank you for sharing and bringing back happy memories. Creative Blessings, Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tracy for such a lovely comment, I am so pleased I brought back such happy memories for you xxx

      Delete

We love to hear your feedback so please feel free to leave the team a comment below - we love reading them!